Monday 4 March 2013

Seasonal affective disorder...

I genuinely believe that everybody suffers from Seasonal affective disorder. Everybody's happier when the suns shining!  Today was a lovely sunny day, even if it was a bit crisp outside! I decided to walk to uni and felt really refreshed when i arrived. This afternoon i started my screen prints and im really pleased with what i managed to produce. The fresh air must have done me some good! It took me ages to mix my pigment dyes, because i couldn't get the colours right at first, but after some perseverance and help, i finally managed! My first sample was in 3 different colours and worked well, however i used a smaller squeegee on my last bulb and it got a bit smudged...but thats all part of the sample process!

 Screen print with pigment...

1. Pin your fabric inwards into the under-cloth.
2. Iron your fabric on so its secure and crease free!
3. Weigh out your Binder (47gms) and your pigment (3gms.)
4. Mix your chosen colours, this can take a while and a lot of practice. It took me 45mins to mix 3 colours!
5. Lay out your screen on top of your fabric.
6. Apply a generous amount of pigment to the base of the image your want to print and use a squeegee to swipe the pigment upwards over the screen. Repeat this motion about 3 times.
7. When finished rinse your screen thoroughly, make sure all pigment has been washed away.
8. Place your screen in the dryer for 20mins.
9. Wait for your print to dry, then iron on both sides.

 


After figuring out why my print had smudged, i developed my most successful bulb print into a repeat on a linen fabric. I really like the final result and love the colour combination...





No comments:

Post a Comment